Фрагмент из книги:
Spirituals are religious folk songs that were created by black slaves in the USA in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. The slaves were converted to Christianity, and the songs were an expression of their religious faith and also communicated the hardship and suffering they endured. Black gospel music has its roots in spiritual music, originating in churches in northern cities in the 1920s. It has survived as the most important music in churches with predominantly black congregations.
The earliest European settlers in North America established colonies on the east coast, where they had landed. But as the population increased, many felt the urge to move westwards in search of new lands and a new life. The vast expanses of the continent were largely unpopulated, except for scattered tribes of indigenous Indians. Those who headed west were called pioneers, and they travelled in lines of wagons for up to six months in order to reach California or Oregon on the west coast.
The pioneers faced many dangers on their journey. Some Indians were hostile, although not as blood-thirsty as Hollywood films tend to suggest. Injury and illness were far more likely causes of death. Crossing rivers was perilous, as were storms and wild animals, and since distances between watering holes could be great, they were always at risk of running out.
Given the hazardous nature of the journey, why did so many Americans choose to make it? Partly, they were tempted by exaggerated descriptions of how wonderful life could be in the west; many had heard tales of crops growing taller than a man. But they were also escaping very real hardships in the MidWest. where the swamps of Missouri and Mississippi were infested with disease-carrying insects.
Бесплатно скачать электронную книгу в удобном формате, смотреть и читать:
Скачать книгу Solutions, Advanced Student s Book, Falla T., Davies P.A., 2013 - fileskachat.com, быстрое и бесплатное скачивание.
Ниже можно купить эту книгу по лучшей цене со скидкой с доставкой по всей России.Купить эту книгу
Скачать - pdf - Яндекс.Диск.
Теги: учебник по английскому языку :: английский язык :: Falla :: Davies
Смотрите также учебники, книги и учебные материалы:
Следующие учебники и книги:
- Prepare, Student s book, Level 2, Kosta J., Williams M., 2015 — Фрагмент из книги: My names Kate and this is my family tree. My mother is English and my father is … Книги по английскому языку
- Prepare, Teachers Book, Level 1, Davies K., Holdsworth D., 2015 — The Teacher’s Book contains clear teaching notes on all of the Student’s Book tasks as well as keys and audioscripts. … Книги по английскому языку
- Prepare, Workbook, Level 1, Chapman C., 2015 — Development of this publication has made use of the Cambridge English Corpus, a multi-billion word collection of spoken and written … Книги по английскому языку
- Prepare, Student s book, Level 1, Kosta J., Williams M., 2015 — Фрагмент из книги: When we look at the world, we see everything in three dimensions. So. things that are further … Книги по английскому языку
- Solutions Upper-Intermediate, Workbook answer keys and transcripts, 2017 — Фрагмент из книги: Kevin is very quick to think negative things about people. Even when he talks about his best … Книги по английскому языку
- Solutions Intermediate, Workbook answer keys and transcripts, 2017 — Фрагмент из книги: To be honest, I think you did really well. We could all see that dad was about … Книги по английскому языку
- Solutions Intermediate, Workbook, Falla T., Davies P.A., 2017 — Фрагмент из книги: The Kardashians are currently one of the USA s most well-known families. They are often in the … Книги по английскому языку
- Solutions Intermediate, Student s Book, Falla T., Davies P.A., 2017 — Фрагмент из книги: Helen Keller was born in 1880 in Alabama, with the ability to both see and hear, like … Книги по английскому языку