Автор: Richard Spears.
All languages have phrases or sentences that cannot be understood literally. Even if you know the meaning of all the words in a phrase and understand all the grammar of the phrase completely, the meaning of the phrase may still be confusing. Many proverbs, informal phrases, and common sayings offer this kind of problem, A phrase or sentence of this type is said to be idiomatic. This dictionary is a collection of the idiomatic phrases and sentences that occur frequently in American English. The third edition contains more than one thousand idiomatic expressions not listed in the second edition and a number of new features that provide additional convenience and simplicity.
Start by looking up the complete phrase that you are seeking in the dictionary. Each expression is alphabetized under the first word of the phrase, except the words a, an, and the. After the first word, entry heads are alphabetized letter by letter. Eor example, in so many words will be found in the section dealing with the letter i. Entry phrases are never inverted or reordered like so many words, in; words, in so many; or many words, in so. Initial articles-a, an, and the-are not alphabetized and appear in a different typeface in the entry. In the entry heads, the words someone or one stand for persons, and something stands for things. These and other generic expressions appear in a different typeface.
To the User
Terms and Symbols
About This Dictionary
Бесплатно скачать электронную книгу в удобном формате и читать:
Скачать книгу NTC s american idioms dictionary - Richard Spears - fileskachat.com, быстрое и бесплатное скачивание.
Скачать книгу NTC's american idioms dictionary - Richard Spears - depositfiles
Скачать книгу NTC's american idioms dictionary - Richard Spears - letitbit
Теги: скачать учебник по английскому языку бесплатно :: английский язык :: Spears :: american idioms
Смотрите также учебники, книги и учебные материалы:
Следующие учебники и книги:
- Easier English Basic Dictionary — 2004. The Easier English Basic Dictionary is designed especially for elementary and pre-intermediate students of English. With over 11,000 terms, … English Dictionaries, Vocabularies
- Easier English Intermediate Dictionary — 2004. With over 28,000 entries, the Easier English Intermediate Dictionary is designed especially for intermediate or lower-intermediate students of English … English Dictionaries, Vocabularies
- Easier English Student Dictionary — 2003. The fully revised and updated edition of this bestselling general English dictionary is especially useful for those working towards … English Dictionaries, Vocabularies
- Express Picture Dictionary - Gray E. — Express Picture Dictionary. Gray E. 2001. Этот красочно оформленный словарь включает более 1,500 слов необходимых для самых маленьких учеников. Словарь … English Dictionaries, Vocabularies
- Oxford Collocations Dictionary For Students of English. — Oxf Collocations Dictionary for Students of English - A collocations dictionary that helps students write and speak natural-sounding English. Collocations- … English Dictionaries, Vocabularies
- McGraw - Hill s Super - Mini American Slang Dictionary - Richard Spears - 2nd ed 2007 — This authoritative reference offers thousands of American English slang expressions. Entries include definitions and examples of slang used in context. … English Dictionaries, Vocabularies
- McGraw-Hill s essential phrasal verb dictionary - Richard Spears - 2008 — Phrasal verbs , also called two-word verbs, are idiomatic expressions wherein the second element of the verb (the adverb or … English Dictionaries, Vocabularies
- McGraw-Hill s essential american slang dictionary - Richard Spears - 2008 — This dictionary is a resource cataloging the meaning and usage of frequently occurring slang and colloquial expressions in the U.S.A. … English Dictionaries, Vocabularies